STFC B4I Chemical Event
This event offers companies who need to overcome problems that restrict their productivity and competitiveness, an opportunity to discuss their issues with world leading scientists and learn how to access some of the £8 million in funding available to the Bridging for Innovators (B4I) programme.
Join Science Technology Facilities Council (STFC) at the Centre for Process Innovation (CPI) in Wilton on Wednesday 17 October and learn how STFC have assisted the likes of Johnson Matthey and Unilever to overcome difficult technical challenges and added value to these companies.
Why should you attend?
- Discussing your challenge with world leading scientists
- Understand how to access leading edge research infrastructure
- Hear government strategies, grand challenges and funding opportunities for the chemical industry
- Networking with other chemical companies
- Facility tour at CPI’s state of the art facilities (see uk-cpi.com)
Who should attend?
This event is primarily aimed at companies who need to overcome challenging problems that restrict their potential productivity and competitiveness:
- Technical and Business development staff
- Lead Scientists
- Engineers involved in the chemicals or process industries sector
10:30 Open – Steve Fletcher, Head of Chemistry & Industrial Biotechnology, KTN
10:35 Welcome and Overview of CPI – Matthew Abbott, Technology & Innovation Officer, CPI
10:45 The Spirit of Innovation – Dr Jeremy Shears, Chief Scientist, Shell
11:10 Welcome to STFC – Dr Kate Ronayne, Executive Director, STFC
11:20 STFC Capabilities for the Chemical and Process Sectors – Facility Leads, STFC
12:20 Industry Case Studies:
- Prof Adam Kowalski, Manufacturing Research, Unilever
- Ken Lewtas ,Director, Lewtas Science and Technologies
- William Averdieck, Managing Director, Coconut Collaboration
- Paul Collier, Research Manager, Johnson Matthey
13:00 Lunch & Networking
14:00 Overview of the UK Chemicals Sector – Harry Swan, CEO,Thomas Swan / Innovation Lead on the Chemistry Growth Partnership
14:30 Bridging for Innovators Funding Programme – Ling Xu, STFC
15:10 Open Q&A
15:30 Networking, One-on-One Meetings & Facility Tours
About the Bridging for Innovators (B4I)
BFI is a programme run by STFC to support UK industry to overcome challenging product, manufacturing or process performance. Accessing their unique laboratories and engaging with world class researchers, you will develop projects that address your specific challenge and help you make a step-change to your business.
Full details of scope, eligibility and application process are available here.
Working with STFC
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is a multidisciplinary research organisation and operates large-scale national laboratories with key experimental and computational capabilities relevant to the chemical industry, including:
- Understanding the mechanisms of chemical and biological synthesis
- Characterising the properties of products and intermediates
- Studying production processes, including catalytic systems
- Investigating the structure, properties and effects of formulated products, such as coatings and sealants, cleaning products, pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals
- Interpreting large dataset to drive decision making (AI knowledge base)
You can find out more about ways that access STFC facilities can directly benefit your company by reading their chemicals case studies: