Innovate UK Smart Grants summer 2019
Smart is the new name for Innovate UK’s ‘Open grant funding’ programme.
Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation, will invest up to £25 million in the best game-changing, innovative or disruptive ideas with a view to commercialisation.
All proposals must be business focused, rather than pure research. Applications can come from any area of technology (including arts, design, media or creative industries), science or engineering and be applied to any part of the economy.
We may consider eligible project costs over £2 million (but not exceeding £3 million), subject to the process set out under ‘Eligibility’.
- All applications must include at least one micro, small or medium sized enterprise (SME)
- Project durations between 6 and 18 months must have total eligible project costs between £25,000 and £500,000. They can be single or collaborative projects.
- We will not accept projects with a duration below 6 months and/or costs below £25,000.
- Project durations between 19 months and 3 years must have total eligible project costs between £25,000 and £2 million. They must be collaborative projects.
- If you want to submit a project between 19 months and 3 years with total project costs between £2 million and £3 million as a permitted exception, you must email email@example.com with full justification at least 10 days before the competition closes. We will decide whether to approve your request.
- Projects must start by 6 January 2020 and end no later than 6 January 2023
To lead a project you must:
- be a UK based business of any size or a research and technology organisation (RTO)
- carry out your R&D project activity in the UK
- intend to commercially exploit the project results from the UK
- be an SME if you want to work alone
- include at least one SME if you want to collaborate with others (businesses, research organisations and/or charities)
An academic institution cannot lead on an application or work alone.
We give preference to applications that demonstrate realistic, significant potential for global markets. Proposals from innovation-based businesses with significant ambition and potential for growth or scale-up are welcome.
Where possible, projects should take customer and user needs into account to deliver more desirable and useful solutions.